Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:37:13 -0400
>Mark:
>
>I'll admit freely that I don't have enough information to answer your
>questions about SMTP vs. LSMTP and how NAV 2000 works procedurally.  NAV
>2000 has identified one virus-laden e-mail file in the SMTP/LSMTP system
>since July 1, 2000, and that file was stopped from distribution.
>
>As for performance, we only move about 1 - 1.5 million messages a month,
>usually in batches of a few hundred to a few thousand at a time.  So,
>performance isn't really an issue for us; messages are processed quickly
>and the mail server is idle most of the time.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of Norton Antivirus and the
portion of their website devoted to the product seems singularly
devoid of information on what it's actually supposed to do, apart
from a vague impression that it has something to do with getting
viruses.  (I may just not have looked hard enough.)  So I can't speak
specifically as to how NAV works or what effect it would have on
performance.

Generally speaking, though, I'd say that you'd have to expect that
any antivirus system that is to intercept incoming viruses would have
_some_ effect on performance.  It should be possible to minimize that
effect if you can configure the software to only intercept and scan
incoming messages, though.  This would leave LSMTP to send outgoing
messages unimpeded, which is really where you see the biggest
performance gains when you use LSMTP.  From a virus security
standpoint this shouldn't be a problem, either, as in order for
LISTSERV to distribute a message containing a virus it first has to
receive a message with a virus.

I'm speaking fairly theoretically here so some testing of any system
you are thinking about using is in order, but the above seems correct
to me.  Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc