Steve Price <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:35:56 -0600
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:12:39PM -0700, Ben Parker wrote:

> Sorry, I made an incorrect assumption.  However, the explanation is the same.
> The outbound MTA accepting the BSMTP mail 'package' from LISTSERV (regardless
> of what program it is) must accept the entire 'package' (*.MAIL file) without
> question, and without performing any validation, domain lookups, or whatever,
> during the period that LISTSERV is sending.  Any such validation should be
> done later, after initial acceptance, and generally while the MTA is
> attempting to deliver the mail onwards to its final desitination.
>
> The Outbound SMTP mailer in LISTSERV is very simple minded and cannot deal
> with 450 responses, and other forms of errors and will not manage its own
> errors and retries at this point in the process.  Those are all MTA functions
> that should rightfully be performed by the MTA and not by LISTSERV.

I'm not sure I understand this bit of logic but I'll take your word
for it that LISTSERV's simplemindedness is a flaw with most (all?)
of the common Un*x MTA's default settings.

> In sendmail, the FEATURE(noncanonify) accomplishes this.  There is some other
> setting for Postfix, and still another setting for Qmail, and still another
> setting for other popular unix mailers.  If I knew what they all were I'd tell
> you.

Thanks I'll ask on the postfix list to see if there's an
equivalent.

> These are all non-existent domains.  You can safely just delete all these.
> The simplest fix for this is modify your go.user (add this line if it doesn't
> exist, modify if it does exist):

> RUNMODE="TABLELESS SWGATE.LSOFT.COM"
> export RUNMODE

This wasn't there but it has been added.

Thanks.

-steve