Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:39:22 -0500
>Some guy has an autoresponder that says "THANK YOU, PLEASE WAIT FOR
>RESPONSE" whenever you mail it. Somebody (him?) sent a mail from that
>address to our list server. It receives the Thank you message from him.
>It replies "You're welcome." His autoresponder replies "Thank you!" Our
>listserv replies "You're welcome" ongoing in this cycle until the end of
>time, apparently. What can I do to either limit the number of times per
>day or per hour that Listserv will respond to emails from the same
>person, or block specific people from contacting the listserv? I'm
>definitely new to this, so any hints/tips welcome.

The general rule the LISTSERV uses is that if it receives 50
consecutive bad commands from an address it stops acting on (or
responding to) mail from that address and instead forwards it to the
site manager or listowner for inspection.  (The THANK command is
ignored for the purpose of determining whether the last 50 commands
have been good or bad, though this wasn't always the case; you may
wish to make sure that you have a recent version of LISTSERV
installed.)  This is called "serving off" the address.

In some cases it may be necessary to manually serve an address out
(it sounds like that's what you need to do now).  The command to do
this is

        SERVE email@address OFF PW=your_password

Thanks,
--