Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:31:18 -0400
At 12:26 PM +0200 10/4/00, Mercedes Gimenez wrote:
>        Hello all. We have problems with Netscape and listserv
>sometimes and with some users :-(.  Some times, if user send a mail
>to listserv whith Netscape, the mail is queued (some times 10 mn,
>some times 4 days!!!)
>
>        I only have detected that Netscape "change" the name of my PC
>. If I send the mail with Eudora , the first received line is this
>one:

>        But with Netscape, the mail header is this one:

>(Complete headers are at the end of this mail)
>
>        Itīs possible some kind of "penalization" for this change???
>(The Netscape mail is queued some times, not all the times)

I don't see where either piece of mail was delayed in the messages
whose headers you included.  I don't know if that's relevent or not.

One thing that comes to mind is that I know that some versions of
Netscape for Unix had a bug which resulted in an invalid Sender:
address being inserted into mail headers generated by the Netscape
mail client.  If your users are using Netscape for Unix and your
mailing list is set to Send=Public that might have something to do
with the problem, as LISTSERV will take the Sender: address to be the
"real" address of the person sending the message and if that address
is not subscribed will delay distribution of the message for ten
minutes.  (This is referred to as a "spam quarantine" and is to allow
LISTSERV time to see if, for instance, the same email address sends
the same message to a bunch of other mailing lists.)  This wouldn't
explain the four-day delays you mention, though, so even if this is
part of the problem it probably isn't the whole story.

I haven't used Netscape for Unix myself so the following information
is culled from various sources, mainly mailing lists such as this
one.  I can't vouch for its total accuracy, therefore.

To reiterate, affected versions of Netscape Messenger have the
following bug: If the server login ID doesn't match the LHS of the
e-mail address, Netscape Messenger generates a Sender line to try to
authenticate who the "real sender" is.  Unfortunately, this line is
not correctly generated, resulting in a bad Sender line.

A workaround is to set the mail.suppress_sender_header variable in
Netscape's preferences file (unfortunately not accessible by the user
interface).

Close Netscape, open `~/.netscape/preferences.js' with a text editor,
and add a line that says:

user_pref("mail.suppress_sender_header", true);

From then on, Netscape won't generate the "Sender:" header, and your
message will be RFC822 compliant.

I hope that you succeed in determining the cause of your problem.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc