Hank Nussbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 08:29:27 IST
>Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:51:00 -0800
>Sender: LISTSERV give-and-take forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Bebo White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help!
>
>I would appreciate some help/advice with problems that we are experiencing
>with our VM Listserv.
>
>We are running version 1.7e - I know this is ghastly old, but we are
>quickly moving away from VM and are restricted in our resources to
>update VM systems. Some of our lists remain on VM (and must do so
>a bit longer) for various reasons.

We are 1.8a and hit the same thing.

>In migrating from VM, we are also migrating from Bitnet, so recently
>our postmaster added a :newnode.slacvm.slac.stanford.edu tag for
>SLACVM. It seems that since then things have begun to go haywire,
>including:
>           a) bounces of regular mailings from external sources that
>              worked fine before;
>           b) bounces of our Listserv<->Netnews gateway;
>           c) Listserv error messages for X-DEL jobs;
>           d) refusal by the Listserv server to accept mail or
>              TELL commands from owner/maintainer VM accounts;

We had the *exact* same thing happen to us here in Israel. And
we added about 35 newnodes of which about 4 of which are running
a Listserv.

So far:

a) The newnode tag does not affect the 'owner' tag in Listserv
header.  This has the unfortunate affect of locking out the list
to the owner.  Commands sent in via mail/file/tell will be translated
from user@njenode to [log in to unmask] as per 'newnode' and
will then be compared to the string in 'owner'.  No match - no
privs.  The 'owner' tag has to be editted by hand on every single
list by the owner of Listserv.

b) Users subscribed with FULLHDR lose that option and revert to
SHORTHDR when Listserv 'newnode' processing takes place.

>Any clues or advice on how to solve these problems will be greatly
>appreciated. Installing a new version of Listserv is not an option
>(unless that is the only solution) due to our restrictions on VM
>support. Please no flames re: our migration philosophy or the
>antiquated version we're running.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Bebo White
>Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
>--------------
>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:37:49 CST
>Sender: LISTSERV give-and-take forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Help!
>
>On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:51:00 -0800 Bebo White said:
>>
>>In migrating from VM, we are also migrating from Bitnet, so recently
>>our postmaster added a :newnode.slacvm.slac.stanford.edu tag for
>>SLACVM. It seems that since then things have begun to go haywire,
>>including:
>>           a) bounces of regular mailings from external sources that
>>              worked fine before;
>>           b) bounces of our Listserv<->Netnews gateway;
>>           c) Listserv error messages for X-DEL jobs;
>>           d) refusal by the Listserv server to accept mail or
>>              TELL commands from owner/maintainer VM accounts;
>>Any clues or advice on how to solve these problems will be greatly
>>appreciated. Installing a new version of Listserv is not an option
>>(unless that is the only solution) due to our restrictions on VM
>>support. Please no flames re: our migration philosophy or the
>>antiquated version we're running.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>Bebo White
>>Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
>
>Bebo,
>
>We had some unanticipated problems here too.  The following is
>straight from the source:
>
>>LISTSERV-NJE  doesn't support  running under  a non-NJE  hostname. In  an
>>ideal world,  you would  have installed LTCP  first, and  then everything
>>would be working. For now, just edit  your local copy of BITEARN NODES to
>>remove the :newnode, erase BITEARN LINKSUM2, and restart.

WoW!  I've been reading quite a few lists over the past years but
this eeny-teeny gotcha has not appeared once in nodmgt-l where it should
have been stated.  What this means is - if you have an NJE node running
a Listserv - better not do a 'newnode' tag.

$64,000 question: How does one backout a newnode tag?  Can it be
removed from the BITEARN NODES file and Listserv will come back to
life?  What about future cycles?

>> Eric
>
>Keep in mind that your node is no longer known as SLACVM, but as
>slacvm.slac.stanford.edu.  I got screwed because I took LISTSERV
>offline to update the tables (which included the :newnode tag).
>Once the tables were rebuilt, I could not get it online.
>TELL wouldn't work. Mail wouldn't work (remember, it's offline, it's
>not reading/processing mail). Logging on and entering command from
>the console didn't work.  I wound up having to use the GLOBALV command
>to reset the offline variable in LASTING GLOBALV.
>
>If you're the LISTSERV postmaster, the authorized id is:
>[log in to unmask], NOT [log in to unmask]  That's why
>all your commands are failing.
>
>Darren

Hank Nussbacher
Israel