John Sheehy <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:59:26 -0400
On Fri, 29 May 1998, Ben Parker wrote:

| On Fri, 29 May 1998 13:52:47 -0400, John Sheehy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
|
| >I have:
| >
| >        MAXBSMTP=100
| >
| >in my go.user file.
| >
| >Would I be correct in assuming this is the maximum number of recipients that
| >will be that will _ever_ be for a single SMTP transaction?
|
| That is correct.  It wouldn't hurt to leave alittle 'slush' room.  And of
| course to docuement somewhere that both values must be changed together.  this
| only affects outbound traffic however.  It is possible you might have large
| inbound traffic as well.

I specifically want to break the inbound traffic on all my nodes. I don't
want any of my users sending messages with 1,000 recipients to any of my
hosts. If they do, the message should be denied.

For a variety of reasons, that many recipients on a single message is bad. I
can control what listserv does, but I want to break the messages with many
recipients from other sources, without affecting listserv delivery.

Since listserv has the distribute command, no SMTP transaction with another
listserv node should have more than a few recipients. Local delivery will be
handled by my node, so distribution parameters will be dictated by my
settings. Correct?

I think I'll set all my hosts to 110.

-John