Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:25:16 CST
In reading the release notes to listserv 1.7e, I came across this
section:

* Usability: Welcome message for new subscribers *

Once a subscription has been accepted, LISTSERV will look for a LISTSERV
(not CMS) file called 'listname WELCOME'.  This is a plain text file
which can be easily created and maintained by the list owner if the
postmaster has created a filelist for the list.  The first line, if it
starts with 'Subject:', defines the subject field of the welcome
message; otherwise LISTSERV uses a pre-defined subject and uses the
first line as part of the message text.  Again, contrary to the
MAILFORM's, the welcome messages are LISTSERV files; simply placing a
'listname WELCOME' file on LISTSERV's A-disk will not accomplish
anything.

Since this is a plain text file, there is no need to double quotes or
include formatting commands for text which must not be reformatted.
This, of course, means that MAILFORM variable substitution sequences are
not available.

This sounds great, but I have 1 simple question:  how do I make the
file a 'Listserv file'?

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                      (409) 845-8300 (work)

"Success is the progressive realization of your worthwhile dream".