"Michael C. Berch" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 10:56:24 -0800
Chris Lewis writes:
> As I understand it, there are two gateways involved.  One that is gateing
> news into mail, and the second is gating the mail into a LISTSERV list.
> It is the second gateway which is doing the duplicate checks.  The problem
> is that there is no way for the second gateway to tell that the item
> originated on news.
>
> Eric was indeed interested in coming up with a solution of some sort.
> About the only possible solution seems to be if any two of Newsgroups:,
> Path:, Expires:, Supersedes: is there, the bounce will be suppressed.

Two solutions come to minds, one trivially simple, one requiring some
thought:

1. Make it possible for the list owner to disable the duplicate
suppression code.  (Is there some reason this can't be done?)  In a
moderated newsgroup/list, all postings will some from the same origin
(a moderator or gateway site), so mail loops are not likely.

2. Have the duplicate suppression code use a settable timeout -- mail
loops tend to occur within a day or two if at all, but FAQs are rarely
posted even as often as weekly.  Tuning this parameter should provide
protection against duplicates while allowing unchanged periodic
postings like FAQs.

--
Michael C. Berch
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]