"Mark R. Williamson - Postmaster" <MARK@RICE>
Wed, 14 Jan 87 15:05:43 CST
Has anybody noticed that LISTSERV-PUNCH (LPUNCH) format messages do not
quite match the description in LISTLPUN MEMO?  In particular, lines
are sometimes "split" into a single line which claims to be the first of
two lines.  This may not confuse a human reader (at least, not nearly as
much as LPUNCH format does in the first place), but it would certainly
mislead an automatic reformatter.

I just got my first LPUNCH-formatted file and noticed that most of the
supposedly split lines were in fact single lines.  (It was from the ARPA
Info-Mac digest list.  They have historically not been vary careful about
long lines, as shown in their archives.  The first issue we got contained
a number of long lines, but not nearly as many as LISTSERV tried to split.)