Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Aug 1993 07:50:35 MST
On Fri, 6 Aug 1993 09:13:24 -0400 Chris Lewis said:
>Correct.  A proper gateway from one world to another should conform to
>one world on one side of the gate, and the other world on the other side
>of the gate.  This is a surprise?  That's what gateways do, right?  A
>gateway that can't guarantee that isn't a gateway and should be disconnected.

  This is one person's opinion.  Period.  This continual beating of a
deceased equine by Mr (?) Lewis is becoming REALLY boring.  And Stupid.

>False.  I do not expect other worlds to adapt to my expectations, or
>rather, the standards of my world.  But where those other worlds
>affect my world, they'd better conform to the standards of my world.

   Be sure to remind the space aliens of that when they come to invade
your world; of course you may have some problems dealing with their
time-warp-ninth-dimensional-weapons.

>Correct.  The standards of my world, my side of the gateway, forbid the
>gateway sending bounces to my world.

   Well, then maybe 'your gateway' needs to have better defenses to
keep out the outsiders?  Makes as much sense as any of the rest of it.

>Another alternative is that the LISTSERV gateway divine the origin of
>the messages, and behave appropriately (in this case, silent discard
>with/without logging).

  Indeed. 'Divine' is the operative word.  Maybe as soon as your godly
abilities figure out how to do that, you can tell Eric.  He has already,
I believe, said 'no way'.

>the USENET side of the gateway.  That means that bounces to USENET
>articles should be prohibited.  I don't care how you do it - I've
>merely made several suggestions on how you accomplish that.  If you

   Once again, the answer has been given.  Why not give up and shut up?

>still can't stop the bounces, still can't provide any mechanism
>that allows the list-owner to selectively stop the bounces, then
>disconnect the gateway.

   That of course is up to the listowner. No one else on this list
can do it for the listowner.  S/he can disconnect ANY gateway that is
subscribed to his/her list in one quick command.  If you want the
gateway disconnected to scifaq-l, why not discuss it with the listowner?

   cyclops, listowner of seven gatewayed lists, but has never had a
              problem with any of them, probably because they are not
              on topics that Chris appears to care about, thank God