Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 13 Dec 1987 14:25 SET
When I arrived at  FRECP11 on saturday morning, I had mail  from Jose Maria in
my reader informing me that the PEERS NAMES file on LISTSERV@DEARN contained a
PUT command (with  the LISTSERV master password) on line  1. Obviously someone
had  very intelligently  RECEIVEd(REP a  PUT PEERS  NAMES request  from me  on
LISTSERV 191,  thereby exposing the  LISTSERV master password to  everyone who
happened to issue a GET PEERS NAMES command (not to mention the people who are
AFD-ed to the file).

I immediately sent a PUT PEERS  NAMES command to LISTSERV@DEARN to correct the
problem, prior 0 (ie MVS prior 15). The file is, admittedly, unthinkably huge:
forty kilobytes, or  500 (five hundred, not 5000) records.  It took 30 seconds
to reach  FRORS12, 30 more  seconds to reach  FRMOP22, and it's  still waiting
there, 26  hours after  I sent  it. I  even sent  a second  copy in  DISK DUMP
format, just in case, and it's still waiting there too (this one is 800 recs).
The file was sent on saturday, ie during the weekend. This means that the file
queue didn't clear up, even during the weekend night (sat-sun). It was in fact
so far  from clearing up  that even  a 500-recs file  prior 0 didn't  have any
chance to get through.  I know nothing can be done about it  (since one of the
14k modems seems to have been lost  forever). I just wanted to stress the fact
that the present topology is far from being adequate, and that users should be
expected to wait for several days to  get a medium-sized file through it, even
during the weekend. In other words, you can get your file to Germany faster by
mailing a tape  there. This has always  been true for 10  megabytes files, but
now it's also the case for 50kb files.

Meanwhile someone  seems to have  corrected the PEERS  NAMES file at  DEARN. I
don't know who that is, but anyway, *big* thanks to him or her.

  Eric