Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:39:53 -0800
>Ben Chi wrote:
>>
>> We operate a number of lists here that are rebuilt on a daily basis from
>> data in the student database.  That is to say, the subscribers are not
>> specified with ADD commands but rather by submitting them in a XXX LIST
>> file each morning that overlays the old copy.  Such a file would look
>> like:
>
>I believe I'd look for a more technological solution.  This is just
>thinking off the top of my head, but why not do something like:
>
>For each list to be updated.
>
>Generate the new list from the database  (you do this now...)
>
>Get the old list from listserv and truncate the records to 80 columns
>
>remove the headers from both lists (generate the one from the data base
>without headers) and sort them
>
>Diff the two lists
>
>>From the output of the diff, generate a string of "quiet add" and "quiet
>delete" commands.
>
>Send these commands to listserv.  Since you are using add, the list
>defaults will apply and everything should be OK.
>
>This method has the advantage that if for some reason a daily update
>fails to run, the next day will take care of all differences.
>
>Harold

I don't think you have to go to this trouble -- I believe the reason this
is happening is because your lists are overwriting, and these options were
at some time in effect.  Since you never DELETE the subscribers from the
lists, your default options never kick in.  I see two options:

We similarly regenerate our mailing lists from a database, but we first
delete all subscribers from the lists rather than overwriting, and we
haven't had the problem you describe.  You might rewrite your regeneration
script to delete all lists before rewriting them.

OR

Send the following command to all your lists:

quiet set <listname> REPRO,SHORTHDR for *@*

That will reset all subscribers to these options -- check to be sure.  The
next time the lists overwrite, these settings should hold.

I'll be interested to hear what happens ...

Sherry