Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 14 Mar 1987 23:00 SET
Please use REPLY TEXT  or suchlike to answer this survey. Be  sure to reply to
SURVEY@FRECP11, not ERIC. If you cannot answer a question, just ignore it.

1. If you are not a LISTSERV postmaster, please indicate your role in LISTSERV
   operations (user, list owner, file owner). Otherwise ignore question.

2. Please give the model of your CPU.

3. How much CPU does your LISTSERV eat a month, on the average?

4. How  much lists  are there on  your LISTSERV?  Count lists >  100 ppl  as 2
   lists.

5. On the average, do you think  LISTSERV eats: Little CPU, a Normal amount of
   CPU, Too much CPU?

6. Specifically, which are the  commands/functions (eg 'mail processing', 'the
   XXX command') which you find unacceptably (or particularly) slow?

7. Would you be  willing to increase LISTSERV's disk space if  it may save you
   CPU cycles? You may give detailed explanations if you want.

8. Would you  be willing to increase  its virtual storage (by  around 1-2M) to
   save CPU cycles (and possibly increase paging)?

9. Are you particularly concerned about the amound of DASD I/O operations done
   by LISTSERV (eg EXECIO * DISKR (FIND xxxx)? If so, would you rather have it
   use more  GLOBALV storage and  do less  DASD I/O (and  consequently require
   more storage too)?

10.  To  which extent  would  you  be willing  to  spend  CPU cycles  to  help
    alleviating network congestion? Reply 'never!!',  'anything you want if it
    may help', 'not more than nnn secs a day', etc.

11. Ditto  on permanent DASD  space (I'm  thinking of automatic  archiving and
    suchlike, or providing large files normally hosted by other servers).

12. Do you think DISTRIBUTE is: Underused, Overused, or used Normally?

13. Would  you be willing  to have your server  used to DISTRIBUTE  large ARPA
    lists for the good  of the network community, even if it  causes it to eat
    more cycles? I mean,  not creating lists on your server  but just using it
    as part of  the DISTRIBUTE backbone to solve the  problem of those awfully
    large ARPA distributions.

14. Are  there particular features  you would like  to see added  to LISTSERV?
    Please be realistic and don't ask for something impossible :-)

15. If  LISTSERV provided, in  the future, a network-wide  conferencing system
    that would require a significant (5  megs? 10 megs?) increase in permanent
    DASD space (to cache issues of (possibly other people's) conferences for a
    short  period of  time as  well as  to permanently  keep issues  of chosen
    conferences), and possibly a (reasonable)  increase in virtual storage and
    CPU,  would you  be willing  to host  that feature  or would  you want  to
    disable it on  your server? Note that  your answer will have  no impact on
    whether the feature will actually be provided  or not as this is part of a
    completely independent  project for  NETSERV and  LISTSERV (funded  by IBM
    Germany). However, I  need your views on  that so as to have  the specs of
    the project 'tuned' as needed.

16. Still  about the same conferencing  system project. Would you  mind if the
    DISTRIBUTE function was used to send out copies of conference issues, even
    if your server doesn't participate in the conference?

17. We are  presently trying to 'blend' the LISTSERV  and NETSERV command sets
    so  as to  make it  easier  for users  *and* application  programs to  act
    independently of the type of server.  For example, NETSERV will change the
    syntax of  its commands to use  a "PW=" keyword instead  of the positional
    parameter. However,  this may require  a few adaptations from  LISTSERV as
    well. The  question is: would you  accept changes to LISTSERV  that caused
    (minor) incompatibility  problems, or temporary problems  (I'm thinking of
    'this will  cause problems  until all  the servers  hosting the  list have
    installed  release nnn'  and  suchlike) or  would you  rather  keep a  few
    annoying differences to avoid such problems?  We'll be trying to develop a
    'common command set',  ie a SUB-set of commands and  parameters that works
    identically with NETSERV and LISTSERV so that servers/programs using those
    commands don't even have to know which type of server they're speaking to.
    Each server  will retain options/parameters/whatever that  are specific to
    it but  part of each  command's syntax will  be compatible with  the other
    server -- ideally...

Thanks for your time, Eric