Turgut Kalfaoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Sep 1992 09:29:13 EDT
On Tue, 1 Sep 1992 21:51:35 EDT you said:
>searching the archives?)  EB0UB011 is being turned off RSN.
>It is now a LISTEARN 1.3 site.

EB0UB011 has been a LISTEARN site for several years. However,
I understand they are removing that site, replacing it with
[log in to unmask] EB0UB011 is not being maintained anymore,
and the list owners were contacted by Christina Blanxer to
remove their peers from this site.

>  - I was not able to issue what I know as GET BITNCLST FILELIST (CTL

I use this command daily. How else can we maintain filelists ? :)
EB0UB011 is as I said, not maintained anymore - they do not have any
of the PTF shipments applied since LISTEARN 1.3 was released more
than six months ago. I understand they do not wish to define the
source and update disks since this node will be terminated altogether.

>can update it and store it back on the LISTEARN.  MAybe (CTL was added
>after the split, but that's not my problem, and I didn't want to

My guess is that the server did not recognise you as someone
privildged enough to obtain the filelist.

> - GET listname defaults to the GLOBAL on LISTEARN, and heaven help me
>guess the option necessary to GET only the local copy of a peered list.

True - since 09/01/91 GET listname defaults to GLOBAL on LISTEARN.

>with a confidential=yes.  It worked.  I got on another account and
>issued a TELL LISTSERV AT EB0UB011 LIST, and APPLICAT was gone from the

These are due to missing PTFs at EB0UB011. Please issue:

   GET LST13PTF SUMMARY

to [log in to unmask] for a complete list of PTFs, which include
corrections and major enhancements such as file splitting, complex-id
support, internet-internet mapping and more.

> - During the process, I attempt to EXPLODE APPLICAT (WITHOUT EB0UB011
>PREFER UGA FOR UGA.  The move file looked great.  I updated the password
>and sent it in.  LISTSERV@EB0UB011 accepted it and sent off the info
>to DEARN and HEARN for processing.  DEARN and HEARN sent nice little

DEARN and HEARN for which you did not complain, are also LISTEARN
servers. However, they have most PTFs installed. Please make a distinction
between an individual server and all 44 LISTEARN servers.

Large public flames are usually not the best behaviour. If you had
contacted any EARN employee, we could have either corrected the problem
perhaps by creating a PTF (in this case, I don't think any new PTFs are
needed), or tried to work out something with the ostmaster of EB0UB011
about this ill-maintained server.

The questions/answers forum for LISTEARN issues is usually the
[log in to unmask] discussion list. I have no problems discussing
them here, provided the list owner is not getting too upset with us :)

Finally, we are in the process of updating the documentation, and it should
be available in the near future.   Regards, -turgut

PS: I'll forward your msg to the postmaster of EB0UB011.