David Timmons <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:01:47 -0500
**First of all, I'd like to apologize if this is a duplicate posting. I
don't mean to be a pest but I have had considerable difficulty with my email
during the past couple of weeks. Having made it through Hurricane Georges
safely, I've decided to give it one more try. I hope you can help me. David

DRAFT PROPOSAL FOR NEW MAILING LIST

Subject: Student Teachers and First Year Teachers

I would like to start an email list for student teachers and first year
teachers.

Ideological Background: The student teaching experience and the first years
of teaching are crucial to keeping teachers in the classroom. These teachers
need both the support and sounding board of others going through the same
experience as well as support from teachers who have been in the classroom
for several years. Often times the student teacher is the only one at that
particular school and she/he is no longer in regular contact with their
college classmates. This can be a very isolating experience. Individual
schools and school districts provide a varying degree of support for their
new teachers. These teachers need avenues of support for what can be a
couple of very difficult years.

Background: I am in my fourth year teaching and my wife has taught for
seventeen years. We would be the primary moderators of the list. Last summer
(1997) I developed a web site with ideas, etc. for teachers. Most of the
email responses we have received have been from beginning teachers. My wife
and I supported several teachers through regular email during the past
school year. We would now like to take this a step further as facilitators
of an email list.

Please let me know if you would be interested in sponsoring this list.

Please email me at [log in to unmask] since I am not a subscriber to this
listserv.

Thank you, David

David Timmons, 4th Grade Teacher
St. James Elementary