Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Jun 1993 10:46:31 CDT
Please forgive the cross post, but I think this may be of interest
to readers of each group.

Background:  I have recently taken over the moderatorship of a USENET
group.  Part of the group receives their posts via mail instead of
by using a newsreader.  So, being a VM person, I did what came naturally
and set up a LISTSERV list for those folks (Editor=me).  The posts
come in to my listserv list and wait for me to approve them (from both
the people who read via mail, and usenet).  If they are approved, I
forward them to the LISTSERV list where they get distributed.  I then
save each mail message to a seperate file, for posting to Usenet (via
my newsreader - NNR).

The problem:  All of this works, but the posting of each article is
somewhat tediaous (sp).  Not only must each post be done 1 at a time,
but the headers must be stripped from the post, and put in the header
section of NNR.

The solution: What is needed (as I see it) is a DVM that will accept a
mail message, look in the header for a newsgroup tag, and post it
appropriately.  This way, I could just subscribe that DVM to my
Listserv list and the posts would be put into Usenet automagically.  I
have seen several unix-deamons which do this, but none of them seem to
work with a moderated group (ie.  they drop the Approved: tag) which
means they come right back to me.  Did I mention that I have an xedit
macro - called by a ricemail exit - which adds an Approved: tag to the
header?  On the mail messages that Listserv redistributes, the

Fine points:  I don't think something like this is needed for NETNEWS
users since (I believe) Netnews already provides a way of reflecting
between mail and usenet.  Also, I think the DVM should work like NNR
in that it uses RXSOCKET to transfer the post from the local VM machine
to whereever the News server is (ie. assume that the articles are
kept somewhere else).

Am I out of my mind for wanting something like this?  Am I trying to
re-invent the wheel?

Chris Barnes            |   President - Bryan/College Station
[log in to unmask] |         Retriever Club
(409) 846-3273 (home)   |   "Dedicated to the betterment of
(409) 845-8300 (work)   |               the retrieving breeds"