Scott Ophof <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Sep 90 09:35:30 SET
If the following doesn't belong here, please point me to the right list,
with a direct, private message; no need to clutter up the network more
than my note is doing already.  :-)

Fictive scenario:
Our BITEARN NODES entry does *not* contain the "internet" tag.
My address is <[log in to unmask]>, and I e-mail using that address.
I subscribe to a discussion list using TELL, which means our 8@8 address
<user@bitnode> is used.  Since the discussion list says "Send=Private",
e-mail I send it is refused (<[log in to unmask]> is not a subscriber).
I understand that the difference is non-trivial.

So I send in my subscription via e-mail, using the domain address.  OK,
I realize I'm going to get TWO copies of each item, so I TELL listserv
to SET my subscription to NOMAIL, which should kill the items sent to
<user@bitnode>.  No problems so far, right?  I can send interactive
messages *and* e-mail to that discussion list.

Now our Node Admin sends in a NODENTRY update with the "internet" tag,
and we skip in time to the point that all nodes know about that tag,
which includes all the LISTSERV nodes.

My questions:
Since <user@bitnode> and <[log in to unmask]> are now equivalent (am I
right?):
 - Do I get e-mail from that list at all?
 - If so, at which address?
 - Does LISTSERV (or some other facility) go crazy figuring out whether
   I want mail (setting for domain address) or not (8@8 address)?
 - Do I need to do something, and if so, what?
 - Will LISTSERV inform me of any now redundant stuff?