"Eric Thomas (CERN)" <ERIC@CEARN>
Sat, 18 Jun 88 18:54:00 GVA
An increasing number of people are expressing their interest in my future job.
Although some of  them (my real friends)  are sincere, most of  the others are
hiding their  true concerns under  a veil of  hypocrisy. They send  me network
fatherly taps in the  back, hope that everything is going to  be great for me,
and oh by the way what about LISTSERV, don't you think it would be a good idea
to sort of transfer  itw ownership to EARN and/or BITNET,  or, well not really
transfer it, you could still sell it of course, but sign a contract to kind of
let them do  whatever they'd like, I mean  need, to do with it.  After all the
network is the place where it belongs, if  you leave you won't be able to have
fun  any more  improving  it, at  least  this  way you'd  be  sure someone  is
cherishing your "baby" (more taps in the back), etc.

Let me tell you that this is exactly  the right attitude if you want me to (1)
leave EARN without regret  and (2) do my best to  "make your life interesting"
as far as LISTSERV  is concerned. I am not opposed  to discussing the problems
that may arise if I leave, but I  am opposed to hypocritical taps in the back,
camp songs,  and the like.  I also  see NO REASON   why I should  transfer the
ownership of LISTSERV to EARN, BITNET or, even worse, 'University of XYZ'.

"What will happen to LISTSERV if you  leave?" The answer is quite clear to me.
The  license agreement  gives you  right  to use  the PRESENT  version of  the
software  for  an  unlimited  duration,  as long  as  you  stay  connected  to
EARN/BITNET and you don't break the few rules listed in the license agreement.
However the contract clearly states that "maintenance" (ie fixes and upgrades)
may or  may not  be provided,  and in this  case they  would obviously  not be
provided since I would not be on the network any more. Thus if some day I make
my own company (which, to answer your question, I don't want to do now because
I'll have to interrupt my work for 16 months in 2-3 years) and sell a LISTSERV
version 43.51, you would, a priori, need to pay to get it (I might also decide
to give it  to the network for free,  but the contract doesn't force  me to do
so). Or, if  I sell it to 'VM/XYZ Software',  nothing forces 'VM/XYZ Software'
to send  you the last  version for $0.0, which  seems perfectly normal  to me.
Finally, I  will no  longer be there  to issue free  software licenses  to new
nodes, ie to send out new copies of  the software to new nodes. Whether or not
I delegate this  authority to someone else  remains to be decided.  If it were
only  for the  back-patters,  I would  be  awfully glad  to  stop issuing  new
licenses right away.  But there are also  some good  guys there (hopefully the
silent majority).

The back-patters usually also  ask for my job plans. Although  this is none of
their  business,  I really  don't  care  about this  sort  of  things, so  I'm
enclosing an  edited copy of  the "jobs"  file I have  created to make  sure I
don't forget any "pending" offer. The  'EARN' columns indicates whether or not
I  will still  be  on  the network  if  I accept  the  job.  Wherever you  see
asterisks, it means I have been explicitly or implicitly asked not to name the
corresponding thing. I have put an  asterisk in the salary column whenever the
company name was not masked out, except  when the info is "public". Salary and
interest are  rated 1-5,  5 being  the best and  1 the  worst. The  'S' column
contains '>' when the offer is confirmed (ie I could sign after discussing the
details), '?' otherwise.  Jobs are in the  order I would take them  if all the
pending problems got solved (mostly sorted by 'interest' as you will see). The
second part of the file lists some of the jobs I have refused. You will notice
that EARN  is so  afraid of losing  me that they  are making  2-3 nonsensical,
completely uninteresting offers  a week (various sources).  Their 'EARN staff'
offer is interesting, but it's not before  89, God knows where it will be, and
the salary is, as I expected, very  low (but they are working on it). Finally,
everybody seems to  want to turn me  into a millionaire provided  that I write
some *PC* or *MAC* software for them. I have received very, very little offers
to work on VM (all of them are listed in the enclosed file).

  Eric

S # Who?      Where?   What?   When/How long?  Interest  Salary  EARN?
- - ----      ------   -----   --------------  --------  ------  -----
? 1 *****     Europe   VM Dev       ?/?           4-5       *      N?
? 2 IBM(3)    USA      VM Dev       ?/2y          3-5       *      N
? 6 *****     USA      Networking Aug/2y          3-5      1-3?    Y
> 7 EARN(7)   ?        EARN staff  89/1y          3-5      1-2     Y
(...)
  - CERN      Geneva   VM Boredom Aug/6-9m         2        4      Y
  - IBM(1)    Switz.   SE         Aug/Any          1       3-4     N
  - IBM(2)    Germany  OSI        Aug/2y           1        3      N
  - EARN(1)   *****    PC+VMS     Aug/2y           2        ?      Y
  - EARN(2)   *****    VMS        Aug/2y           1        ?      Y
  - EARN(3)   *****    MAC        Aug/1y           1       3-4     Y
  - EARN(4)   *****    UNIX       Aug/?            1       2-3     Y
  - EARN(5)   *****    OSI        Aug/?            1        3      Y
  - EARN(6)   *****    MVS+VMS+VM Aug/6m           1       2-3     Y
  - Various            PC or MAC                   1       4-5     N