Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:08:03 CST
As many of you are aware, in May I had to change the mirror site for
these 2 newsgroups due to technical problems at the old mirror site (at
American.edu in Washington, DC).  The guy who ran the old mirror site
had left for a new job, and his replacement was not very familiar with
the system.

After finding a new mirror site, everything worked great, UNTIL the old
mirror decided to come back to life.  This caused a whole new set of
problems, namely:
  1) when a post appeared in the newsgroup, the old site would try to
     send it to the list

  2) when the post arrived at the list for distribution, it would either

     a) be posted again
     b) be rejected because Listserv checks to prevent exact duplicate
        posts (part of an anti-emailloop feature).
     c) both "a" and "b"

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS.

Today I was able to get through and talk to Herschal Browne (the directo
for Network something or other there).  He was a super nice guy and
appolized for not catching this previously.  He removed the mirroring
for my groups while on the phone withe me.  This means we (hopefully)
have seen the end to the duplicate posting problems (and the bogus error
messages some of you may have been getting).

I also found out that one of the popular Usenet servers, Dnews, has the
ability to recieve email and post to a Usenet group built in.  Dnews
is pretty easy to find in the comp....newsserver group.

Chris Barnes                                    (409) 845-8300
[log in to unmask]                        AOL IM:  CNBarnes
http://cis.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/                ICQ:     3581645