"S. PETE HOYLE" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:59:57 EST5EDT
Hello -- note- this is being cross-posted to lstsrv-l,
cren-listproc, and listmom-talk, the 3 list-oriented lists I
subscribe to. Please pardon the duplication.

We are planning to install new list-managing software in the summer
of 97 (replacing the old, free listproc 6.0c).

Management has declared that command interfaces via e-mail are
archaic and unacceptable, and that specialized interface software
(like listproc's ILP) would be impossible to distribute to all list
subscribers, and is therefore unacceptable.  In fact, the ONLY
acceptable interface for list owners (for managing the lists and
their subscribers) and for list subscribers (both for subscribing and
for managing one's subscription) is WEB access, since we will assume
that owners and (potential) subscribers have web browsers. Web
interfaces must be point-and-click where feasible, and there should
be interactive error checking so that by the time the user has
performed an operation, s/he will know there will not come a delayed
error message by e-mail.

I haven't heard that such a system exists. It would be nice if the
Web interface were built into the list management software, but if a
brand-x product were well enough integrated with the list software,
it would do. The platforms for running the software are probably
limited to an IBM RS/6000 running AIX and using the vanilla sendmail
that comes with AIX from IBM (where our lists now run), or possibly a
beefed-up pc running NT.

I would appreciate hearing any ideas, suggestions, or leads for what
software we should be pursuing. Or, if anyone can verify that such a
system does not exist, that would be useful, along with suggestions
for partial solutions for our upgrade.  Thanks.

--
  Pete Hoyle - William & Mary Technology Services Computing Support
  [log in to unmask] - (757) 221-4357   (221-HELP)