"A. Ömer Köker" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:43:29 +0300

While were slightly trailing in the Listserv version we use (hope to get a
budget soon ;) im limited on commenting what the RSS features will actually
accomplish.  However Id think about whether you want to really spend (at
this time) your limited bullets/favors with the techies in charge of this
project by running after tracking the last message from a list.  Most people
generally have their mail client open all the time so if they get a mail
from a list they'll know about it. This is a scenario where PUSH-to-client
(mail) is more practical/ergonomic then a client-PULL (http) model...

Instead have students/users be able to utilize the full functionality of
Listservs panels (add/remove/digest/archives/etc.) within the centralized
portal to begin with.  Make sure you have simplified help/policy files
accessible and your in play.

The fastest way to do such an integration would be to simply stick Listservs
web panel under a tab of the Oracle App by using IFRAME command and doing a
login automatically from the LDAP.  This can be configured/coded probably in
under an hour with any web friendly scripting language such as php or perl.
So when a user logs into the portal and clicks the Listserv tab he can
automatically be logged into the Listserv panel shown within a oracle app
generated page.  I believe all that oracle would need to do is something
like;

<IFRAME SRC="[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://user:[log in to unmask]"
HEIGHT="500" WIDTH="700" FRAMEBORDER="0"></IFRAME>

I think once students start using the Listserv app and it ends up being a
decent % of the overall portal usage you can push for more resources.  I
think this approach will also allow your teachers (or whoever setups lists)
to easily create new lists without needing to bug someone else too much.
Easier usage/configs mean more people more lists, more lists more option,
more options more usage, more usage more resources... ;)

Paul had a valid comment on passwords being in the open available for
sniffing.  However EACH time a typical user logs in the  passwords are in
the clear by default as well!!   In fact given the variance of the clients
physical locations there is much higher a possibility of individual logins
being sniffed over campus WAN.  I would assume that the oracle app, listserv
and other servers are on a subnet, same switch.  So EVEN if oracle app sends
passwords to listserv in the open it travels a much lower risk zone (LAN).
In either case Id STRONGLY suggest to run it all on SSL to begin with.   You
can very easily have a tunnel of any sort between client (oracle app) and
listserv box on any port and then use a port forwarder on the same box or
just run

Best of luck,
Omer.