Greg Monroe <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 May 1992 17:39:25 EST
Disclaimer:  I am new to this list and a relatively new (but somewhat
             knowledgable) listmaster.  Please be gentle with me....

We are trying to set up a confidential list with the following parameters
in mind:

1) Local users need to be able to freely subscribe, search, and submit
   to the list.

2) We want non-local users to be signed up only on a "trusted basis", i.e.
   like a closed or By_owner list.  Once signed up, they should be able to
   do all that a local user can do.

My first attempt was to define the list which meets criteria 1 by using:

Confidential= Service    Service= Local     Review= private
Send= private            Subscription=open

Then, as the ListOwner, I tried to enroll a non-local person.  This worked
and I thought I was in business.  However, the listserver refuses mail to
this list from the non-local users.  It is, however, perfectly happy to send
mail to them.  The Confidential level obviously overides the Send level.

My second thought was to create a Subscription=Closed list which contains
the external users and link the two lists.  In reviewing this logic, it
seem that there is no easy way to do this so that both lists can cross
post without a loop occuring.

Is possible to create a list to meet these security criteria?  Or should I
tell the requestors that external posting must be sent to an internal "editor"
(manually on the external person's part) and reposted manually?

To be honest, I should also mention that I'm running this under VM/SP Rel 6
which is not supported (but it's all we got).  This may be our problem, but
I doubt it.

Thanks,

Greg Monroe  <[log in to unmask]>
Duke's Fuqua School of Business