Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 May 1991 15:06:41 EST
On Thu, 30 May 91 11:23:00 CDT Chris Barnes said:
>2)  As you have no doubt seen from Mark Williams message earlier,
>there already is a local mod for LISTSERV called WHOIS.  It would
>probably be a good idea to get that package and hack it to lookup
>your local telephone directory (in fact, I have those exact plans
>for my site...).

 Well, what I want to do here on JHUVM is just use the Listserv UDD
 facility for lookups.  If I remember right (I do have the /WHOIS
 package installed), /WHOIS uses the SIGNUP FILE, which is not just
 for it's own use.  So, your queries will return anyone who ever
 SUB'd to a list or sent a REGISTER command.  Plus, I thought that
 the author had stopped supporting it?  UDD is a much better solution,
 even if your users (like mine) want a cutesy front end for adding
 themselves to the database.  (Sigh!)

>Virtually,
>Chris Barnes                           x045cb@tamvm1            (BITNET)
>(409) 845-8300                         [log in to unmask]  (Internet)

 -jj