Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jun 1991 17:56:55 +0200
On    Fri,     7    Jun     1991    08:52:32    TZONE     Frank    Elsner
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>1.  Correct me  if I'm  wrong, but  isn't it  possible to  overcome this
>   problem by setting  the list definition to  simply ignore "Reply-To:"
>   and set it to the lists`s address ?

It is, but you  see not all people set the 'Reply-To:'  to point to their
address on  each and  every message  they send,  and without  placing any
warning to that effect in the mail  body, just for the purpose of causing
people to inadvertently send their reply where they didn't mean for it to
go. There are people who do this for good reasons - for instance, because
they are not subscribed to the list, or because they want the reply to go
both to the list  and to some other party at  their institution who needs
to  see the  answers. I  am not  going  to set  the list  to ignore  user
specified 'Reply-To:' tags just because  a few individuals on the network
(I can think of only 2  names) systematically set 'Reply-To:' to point to
themselves and I have been stupid enough not to remember that.

>2. I  didn't keep  a copy of  what Eric  wrote. I think  all of  you can
>   imagine  the significance  when  you re-read  the  cited text  above.
>   Obviously he  has nothing  better to  do than  to give  attributes to
>   e-mail addresses, for which the user is absolutely not responsible (I
>   refuse to discuss the beauty of "searn.sunet.se").

It may  not be  more "beautiful", but  it sure is  shorter and  easier to
remember  than W107ZRZ.ZRZ.TU-BERLIN.DBP.DE.  I set  your address  in the
'Reply-To:' field because I was afraid some people who did want to see my
answer might  be discouraged at  the thought they'd  have to type  such a
daunting address (which, being nowhere in the header, couldn't be invoked
through some MAIL command). I realize  that users are not responsible for
the site's  e-mail address policy, but  it was my understanding  that you
were the postmaster at TU Berlin.

  Eric