Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD@UGA>
Wed, 8 Apr 1987 10:08:10 EDT
One problem remains with the Mail-Via= Distribute and LISTSERVs which are
subscribed as normal users for the purpose of local distribution and
notebook logging.  This is the ACK which each of these LISTSERVs will
send to the originator of each message.  Since they are not peer servers,
the flags which tell them not to send the ack is not in the message header,
and each one will think they are the first server to process the message and
will send an ACK back to the originator.  You see it now for all servers
which are not peer linked every time you send something to a BITNIC list.

I understood that Eric was going to make Peer headers available at the same
time he made Long headers available, but I looked in LSVSET EXEC and the
option is not available.  I beleive it should be, and also it should be the
default for any userid subscribed to a list which has the same name as the
list, i.e. NODMGT-L@UGA when subscribed to NODMGT-L at BITNIC would default
to peer headers.  If this is not a LISTSERV then it is a simple matter to
change the headers with a SET command.

I still agree with Jose Maria.  LISTSERV was designed to be a distributed
system, and it's a step backwards to return to a centralized model.

Harold