David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:26:40 -0500
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:08:45 -0500, Doug Essinger-Hileman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Late this past summer I asked for help in sorting out a problem with
> the digests being very large. The problem is still not answered. With
> folk complaining again, I am hoping that someone can help me sort
> this out.
>
> The list is currently configured for digests to be cut off at 500
> lines. I realize that if the last email is longer than 500 lines, it
> will not be truncated, and will thus extend the length of the digest.

I am one of the other admins for this list, and Doug and I have been
trying to do some more diagnostics.

It is NOT the case that we're getting a very large message as the
final push over our 500 line limit.  Our digest is currently sitting
at about 1200 lines.

It's not the case that many postings to the list are very long lines.
This is running on a Linux system, and the 'wc' command is reporting
the line count

The 'file' command is reporting that the file type is 'Non-ISO
extended-ASCII English text', so we tried making a digest for another
list that had a bunch of those types of characters.  Our test digests
have never failed to get sent off at an appropriate point (ie, when a
posting pushes the digest over its size specification.)

We are running ListServ Lite 1.8d, and it is not currently feasible to upgrade.

We haven't heard any opinions from the LSoft staff yet ....
--
David Phillips
Molon Labe !