Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 18 Oct 1987 10:26 SET
>I believe that the reason for this failure is that DISTribute is uppercasing
>the userid, and since UUCP is case sensative, it fails.
>
>Bill
>
>>What do  you think about  this nice  UNIX gateway, which  forwards interactive
>>messages to UUCP  only to complain that the path  you specified was incorrect,
>>you naughty  boy, and to send  you back a  BSMTP REPLY in  a file? I got  6 of
>>these already /Eric
>>
>>/../
>>Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 13:30:45 EDT
>>From: [log in to unmask] (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>>Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>bad system name: AMES
>>uux failed. code 68
>>550 AMES!ORA;nopath... Host unknown

Bill, please re-read what you have said, and re-read the rejection
notice. It was NOT sent by DISTRIBUTE, in fact it has NOTHING to do with
LISTSERV at all. It is an interactive message (a NJE NMR) originating from
MAILER@FRECP11, going to some truncated userid at HUSC6, and informing it that
its mail was delivered to [log in to unmask] It could have been
ERIC@FRECP11 or any other local userid. The point is that this gateway
attempts to forward interactive messages to UUCP, which is stupid since the
userid field is intrinsically limited to 8 chars whilst UUCP addresses are
usually much longer.

  Eric