Ahsan Hariz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 19:31:38 +1030
WORDPLAY-L on [log in to unmask] - A Way With Words (Metaphors,
Nuances, Euphemism, etc...)

   WordPlay-L is an unmoderated electronic discussion list that deals
   with the usage of words and phrases in the English language,
   including vocabulary, grammar, spelling and pronounciation.
   Participants will have a chance to debate wording or phrasing of
   controversial nature and explore the origins of English idioms.  The
   list is open to all literary enthusiasts from the purist to the slang
   user.  It promises to be intellectually challenging and also quite
   fun as word games and quizzes can be set by anyone for all to play.

The list above was hosted by us for less than a week when the readership
grew beyond our capacity. We run VMS software with limited capability. The
Mailserv on it doesn't even have DIGEST feature which compounded the problem
of mail handling.

So, I am looking for a volunteer to host the Wordplay-L list.
There are currently 650 addresses on the list (growing at about 150 per
day at present), plus about 200 people who might rejoin if Wordplay-L
re-appears as a digest. You'll need to be an experienced mail
administrator, "well connected" in network terms, and able to cope with
the wide range of addresses and of error reports that this many people
can generate. This list is more suited to programs like listserv, listproc
or majordomo.
If/when a volunteer comes forward, I'll send him/her a copy of the
current mailing list.