Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:47:42 +1000

>It's occurred to me that rather than hook LISTSERV to SQL 2000, I could
>leave the data in its native flat table and instead hook ColdFusion
>directly to it somehow.  The idea occurred to me last night as I was
>reading a book on ColdFusion.  The author wrote that ColdFusion is capable
>interfacing with a broad array of database types -- including
>ASCII-delimited files.  Does anyone know if ColdFusion is capable of
>linking to the LISTSERV database flat file?

No, this isn't possible.  CF can certainly try to access the file but the
problem lies in the fact that it's not plain-text at all.  It's a special
binary format that, if modified outside of LISTSERV, can do Very Bad Things
to your list (ie. it WILL break down).

>The reason I ask is because, if I recall correctly, the hook in LISTSERV
>for SQL databases does not include the LISTSERV password (I have notes on
>this but haven't yet revisited them -- if I have this wrong, please
correct
>me).  I'm trying to figure out a way to provide users with a single
>password that would work for LISTSERV as well as with other web
>applications that store passwords in SQL 2000.
>
>I'm wondering if my idea my provide a means to read and write passwords
>through ColdFusion.
>
>I also wonder if anyone is aware whether or not ColdFusion can be used to
>access the archive data files?

Archive files are a different story as they _are_ plain text.  You can
grant access to the Notebook files of a list and read them but you will
have to be very careful if any modifications are made.

If you do modify the Notebook then you'll have to at least GET/PUT the list
header to force a re-index of the files.  Failing to do this can cause the
Digests and web archives to be corrupted.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.