Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:07:34 -0400
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:51:08 EDT, Sierra Club Listmaster said:
> Is there a limit to the number of recipients, or the total size of the message
> (including headers) that the a Dist Job can handle?

We run 70K recipient jobs all the time, and it generates barely a blip on
our performance monitors.  I'm told that other places are doing DIST jobs
pushing close to a million recipients.

In any case, the issue is almost certainly *not* the Listserv limit - the
problem will be with the SMTP server that Listserv hands it off to.  Listserv
just has to open one connection to the SMTP server and start shovelling
the bits down the pipe - pushing a million RCPT TO: across a connection
isn't particularly hard.

What's hard is actually *delivering* the million pieces of mail thus generated.
You want to talk to the person administering the SMTP server you will be using
and make sure it's ready/configured for it.