Bo Kleve <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:50:27 +0100
At 21.51 -0500 2000-02-02, Dennis Boone wrote:
> > One of our Unix guys just came over to ask me about a problem he is
> > seeing between the postfix mail server and Listserv.  We are running
> > Listserv 1.8d on AIX.  He said that postfix is seeing mail from
> > moderated lists as mail loops when it comes back from the moderator.
> > He said he was looking at some things from the postfix side but wanted
> > to know if I had any ideas. I was just wondering if anyone has seen
> > anything like this or has any suggestions.
>
>We use qmail.  Qmail inserts a "Delivered-to:" header during the local
>delivery phase.  LISTSERV doesn't strip this header when it forwards
>the message to the editor.  (This might depend on configuration.)
>If the editor uses a mailer which doesn't strip this qmail header,
>then qmail sees its own tracks in the message on the second pass,
>and calls it a loop.
>
>I know nothing about postfix, but it's possible it might use a similar
>mechanism.
>
>Dennis Boone
>H-Net

My guess also went towards the Delivered-To that Postfix uses. They can  be
turned off as per Postfix snapshot 19991122 announcement:

    - The ugly Delivered-To: header can now be turned off selectively.
    The default setting is:  "prepend_delivered_header = command, file,
    forward".  Turning off the Delivered-To:  header when forwarding
    mail is not recommended.

I don't have any moderated lists myself, so I haven't run into the problem.
We are using nothing but Postfix on our central servers including the ones
harbouring Listserv.

/BoK

 Bo Kleve                   Mail:  [log in to unmask]
 Linkoping University       Phone: +46 13 281761
 Sweden                     Fax:   +46 13 284400