Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:42:09 -0500
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:52:23 GMT, "Eckard, Steve - eckardsl" said:

> Greetings, all. I have a listowner with two lists. With the one list she gets
> an error report, but in 42 separate emails. With the other she gets a daily
> error monitoring report with 47 subscribers currently being monitored.

Usually, you'll get back one bounce message for each SMTP envelope that
encounters an error.  Most likely, the one list has 47 subscribers that were all
in one SMTP transaction, and the other had 42 separate envelopes.

In general, an envelope can only be used for multiple recipients if all the
RFC822 headers are identical (which means that header=full/short/IETF can cause
an envelope split due to the requirement to deliver different headers), and the
MAIL FROM is the same (which means the Probe= parameter can cause enveiope
splits, as each probed address needs a separate envelope).

And a bunch of other similar details...