"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 2 Jan 89 16:48:47 GMT
I am afraid that I have to reply to this note from Klaus Birkenbihl (which was
originally sent to LSTSRV-L, although some of the replies made afterwards went
to EARNTECH). Since people on EARNTECH and  DEAR-BOD might not have sent it, I
am including the entire original message, even though I will only comment on a
fraction of it.

'>' = Klaus, and '>>' = Jose Maria.

>By chance I  got a copy of Jose  Maria's note LISTSEND V1.1 and I  there is a
>need to make some corrections:
>
>> Please  note that  the availability  of  LISTSEND V1.1  makes obsolete  the
>> previous  version of  LISTSEND,  which I  will no  longer  support, fix  or
>> distribute. Following  the new policy  for volunteer software,  LISTSEND is
>> NOT available  to EARN users, but  only to BITNET and  NetNorth. I've moved
>> the EARN  AFDs to  LISTSEND EXEC to  a separate file,  which I  may restore
>> later if the EARN situation betters.
>
>1. Jose Maria  is not an EARN volunteer!  It is his Job to  contribute to the
>   operation and development of EARN and DFN. He is paid for this by GMD.

I find  this statement extremely  shocking, and  I was deeply  disappointed to
realize that other people like Alain Auroux share this opinion.

Jose Maria is a human being, not a slave or a chair. He has been contracted to
provide service to  GMD for a specified  amount of time per  week, in exchange
for money and according  to some contract that he and GMD  have signed. He has
not been "bought"  by GMD, and therefore whatever he  does outside his working
hours  is not  the  property of  GMD.  Of  course, if  he  uses the  computing
facilities of  GMD to  do this  work, GMD  might (or might  not -  I am  not a
lawyer)  have some  kind of  legal right  on the  work that  was done  in this
fashion. However, even if GMD had rights  on Jose Maria's work, it would still
be volunteer work - work for which he has not been paid, which he has not been
asked to do,  and which he could  perfectly decide not to do.  In other words,
this extra amount  of work is something  that GMD cannot demand from  him - at
least, not without paying him for the extra time spent on the machine.

Jose Maria  works more  than 12h  a day  on DEARN,  including weekends.  He is
probably paid to work 8h a day, 5 days a week. I find it grossly unfair to say
that he  is not a volunteer.  Although I am  equally shocked to hear  the word
"nazi"  used  to qualify  Klaus's  behaviour,  such  a lack  of  consideration
definitely  does  NOT befit  an  institution  which  is supposedly  a  network
research centre. GMD should be thankful for Jose Maria's FREE collaboration to
the network,  and should encourage him  in this behaviour instead  of treating
him the way they do.

>2. Although GMD isn't  allways in favour of EARN decissions  GMD does not not
>   support any  strategy of imposing  pressure on the EARN  administration by
>   selectively distributing  technical solutions everywhere but  within EARN.
>   This is not a way to improove EARN, it is destructive.
>
>3.  Since  Jose Maria  is  employed  by GMD  and  since  the developments  he
>   announced where  on base of GMD-owned  ressources he is not  authorized to
>   give  any statements  on the  availability.  This is  especially true  for
>   strange and unjustified statements that do not agree to GMD policy.
>
>So the best thing to do for now is to ignore Jose Maria's quoted paragraph. I
>guess better news are to follow when Jose Maria is back from hollidays.
>
>Klaus Birkenbihl

This is  exactly the kind  of statement that  makes us volunteers  (or rather,
non-volunteers - after  all, we all have  a job, don't we?) feel  like EARN is
not worth  spending our free  time on. After all,  why should Klaus  bother to
discuss the matter  with Jose-Maria beforehand? He is an  employee of GMD, and
Klaus is his boss, so Jose-Maria doesn't have a say in the whole story.

I cannot speak for Jose-Maria of course, and I don't know how he will react to
Klaus's public aggression. However, you can be  sure that if *my* boss were to
make such a statement  publicly, he would have a letter  of resignation on his
desk 5 minutes afterwards, and I would  show EARN what "not being a volunteer"
means by  getting a  real job in  a bank, insurance  company or  suchlike, and
completely forgetting that 'EARN' can be something else than an english verb.

It is likely, at this point, that Jose Maria will be really pissed off at EARN
and at  the way volunteer support  is acknowledged and encouraged.  I doubt he
will  accept to  work as  a full-time  EARN technical  staff, as  he had  been
offered. He may even decide to leave  EARN and move to greener pastures. If he
chooses this  approach, I may  well restrict  my collaboration with  EARN even
more and bring it down to absolute zero, out of solidarity with him.

Bravo, mister Birkenbihl. This was a very clever move, both from the human and
managerial points of view. And a nice Christmas present to Jose-Maria.

  Eric