Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:45:23 GMT
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 08:15:24 -0700, Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am about to ask my host to convert an existing list to a
>super-list and create a couple of sub-lists for me.
>
>Does this have to be done all at once?
>
>After a super list is set up, may *I* add sub lists via the
>header or does the host have to do that?  Do the sub lists have
>to be in place before they are placed in the super-list header?
>
>Once the initial steps are taken, how much trouble is it for the
>host to add another sub list to the super list?

sub-lists are just normal lists.  They have no knowledge of each other's
existence, etc.

In the header of the 'Super-List' goes a keyword:  Sub-lists=  listname,
listname, etc.

Obviously it is most efficient to set up all of them at once, but since new
(sub) lists can be created at any time, it is also easy to add them to the
list of sub-lists keyword in the super-list.  However, only the Site
Administrator can modify this keyword.

Note also there are usually few actual subscribers to the 'Super-list',
instead posts to it are sent to all subscribers of all the sub-lists, after
duplicates are filtered out.  I don't know for sure, but this suggests
LISTSERV actually creates a subscription list 'on-the-fly' from all the
sublists, eliminates duplicates, and send the msg(s).

Further details can be found in Appendix B of the Owners Manual.
 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]