David Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 May 1996 11:59:07 PDT
>    I retrieved the LEAVING BITNET document from CREN.  In reviewing it I
> noticed the warning that sites running LISTSERV/NJE should not update the
> :newnode tag to convert subscription addresses, since this could cause
> problems.  Can someone tell me what the problems might be.

If your own node entry (the node that LISTSERV/NJE is running on)
has a :newnode entry, LISTSERV/NJE will not initialize. The
solution is to edit the local copy of BITEARN NODES and remove
the :newnode. tag for the node that LISTSERV is running on. Since
the continuation of BITNET isn't much of a factor, it doesn't
matter to the other BITNET-related tools.

> by converting to LISTSERV/TCP or a Unix version.  I can't think of what
> problems might be caused by having the :newnode tag updated while we are
> still running our current LISTSERV/NJE

If you upgrade to LISTSERV/TCP, it has code to handle the above scenario.