Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 01:52:26 +0100
On Tue, 24 Jan 1995 21:31:26 CST Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Could the migration to  TCP/IP take care of it? I  guess I haven't given
>it  much thought,  but  it seemed  to  me the  biggest  hurdle was  that
>topological information wasn't (readily) available  in the IP world. How
>will the DIST protocol fit into this "brave new world" of ours? (I'm not
>looking  for commitments...  Just a  hint  about where  things might  be
>headed...)

Oh, this  is already implemented in  1.8a. It's not fully  functional yet
because we  don't have 200 LTCP  servers yet, but the  structure and code
are there. SERVICE NAMES maps users/service areas to servers and there is
some topological information in INTPEERS  NAMES. Nowadays it is no longer
necessary to  achieve 100% optimal routing.  What matters is not  to send
the same data 100 times across the same bottleneck. So to take a European
example, your campus gets one copy  that it got from your national server
that got it from the US and you can, nowadays, claim that you have solved
the problem.

  Eric