Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 May 2001 15:56:08 +1000

> After following these instructions I am able to access WEB
> interface, but
> I have to enter user name and password via Windows authentication (the
> message box pops up). In addition, I have to enter password even for
> archive search.

This sounds like an NTFS file permission problem.  In Windows Explorer
browse to the folder where your 'archives' directory resides in your website
structure.  Right-click, choose Properties, go to Security tab.  Click the
'Permissions' button and make sure either the EVERYONE or
IUSR_YOURMACHINENAME user(s) has at least Read access to this folder and
sub-folders.

If you have security set to other folders within your website it might also
be useful to go into IIS and enable only anonymous access to the 'archives'
folder.  Windows 2000/NT will *always* choose NTFS authentication over
anonymous access if given the choice.  Of course, make sure you test
security settings after making changes to prevent holes appearing.

Hope this helps...

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.