"William H. Magill" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:20:46 -0500
>   We are currently looking for a program that will take our sendmail log
>   information and produce the following information:
>
>   The volume of incoming/outgoing mail to our server
>   Time frame breakdown (for example, how much mail went out/came in in a 30 second
>   time frame)
>   How long mail takes to be sent out and received by another server
>   Compilation of long term statistics in order to look at averages and
>   comparisions between time periods
>   Daily and hourly peak usages
>
>   Searching through the Internet, we have yet to find any program that will suit
>   the needs mentioned above.  Even the commercial version of Sendmail doesn't
>   offer what we need.
>
>   If anyone knows of a program that will give us these statistics, please let us
>   know.

All sendmail statistics are generated by separate programs which process
the system log file or the sendmail stats file.

There is/was a flurry of interest in this stuff years ago (circa 1993) on
the perl list. And in fact, Tom Christiansen himself wrote at least one
version.

This is a concept/request which florishes from time to time. The problem is
that what you are asking for is rediculous unless you have a very small
system with very few users who contact very few outsiders. It is like all
"accounting" functions -- if you have a body or two to devote to writing
the programs and maintaining the data collected, it can be useful, but it
is typical "graduate student work."

Basically, the report you are asking for is pretty much as worthless as the
daily and weekly reports generated by netnews.

The "top 10" information is sometimes informative, but the bulk of the
information is far less meaningful than people realize.

For one thing, there are a variety of issues which effect things like the
"Time frame breakdown" including the granularity of the logging in the
first place.

I have a couple of old perl scripts which haven't been run in years if you
are interested in them. They may or may not work anymore. And they will
only do some of what you want, but not all. I suspect that you will have to
write most all of the "comparison" stuff yourself.

--
                ===<Tru64 UNIX-SIG Chair>===
                     www.tru64unix.org