Barry Krawchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 May 1995 16:06:44 EDT
We've been trying to get all of our mail sent to our mailer.  We have
installed a filter that will make changes in the mail header as it's
being sent so that it negotiates through our firewall. However, mail
that is sent using the DISTRIBUTE process is transferred directly to
our adjacent BITNET avoiding the reach of our filter.

How can we change that?  We tried the DISTOFF parameter and the
Mail-Via keyword unsuccessfully and later found that they had been
disabled during the release note of LISTSERV 1.7d.  It seems that it
should be possible because so many sites are sending their mail to
the Internet and hence SMTP.

Maybe there's a way to do what we want within LISTSERV.

Our firewall gateway needs to have all mail senders registered before
it can be sent.  It will make their mail addresses look like

Postings sent to our lists are causing a problem because the FROM:
address for a remote user is unregistered.  We don't want to register
all those outside addresses and try to keep them consistent.

We hope to use a filter that changes the FROM: address into the
address of the list.  We would make an X-FROM: line that has the
poster's address.  Then, we can register all of our list addresses
in the firewall, and service everyone.

It's hardly the best solution but we're looking for good ideas. Hope
you can help.

Barry Krawchuk
HEALTHCOM Network Systems