"Kip Keil, DBA" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:28:44 -0600
We recently moved 1.8d from one Sun machine to another.  The compile on the
old machine was done by a sysadmin who has since left the company.  Our
current sysadmin did the compile on to the new machine.  And the two
machines are not significantly different in HW, and are running the same OS
(2.7), same packages, and similar services.

After the compile, I moved four lists, one at a time, over to the new box,
and the sysadmin shut down the old one.  All DNS and MTA matters appear to
have been properly resolved, although he spent some time on this.  He
'babysat' the box while I "put" the first list.  He identified some things
(like an old .forward) that were causing some problems.  After a bit of
tweaking and fiddling, this first list is working -- as near as I can
tell -- in the same manner it did on the old box.

Here's the problem:  Only the list he 'babysat' is working correctly.  I can
"put" lists, and they get created, I get the acknowledgement back, etc.  I
can issue commands against listserv, and I get responses.  (Ie., "scan
[list-l] [string]" works, "show points all" works, etc.)  But, when I mail
to any list _except_ the 'babysat' list, I get a "550 5.1.1 [address]...
User unknown" error message.

I've tried this with the [list-l]-request address for all four lists.  I've
tried sending to my test list (one of the four), and get the 550.  In the
home dir, there are a number of files for the one list that seems to be
working, but only the .list file for the other three.  Yet I did nothing
different in creating the lists.

I feel there's one or more issues with the compile, but, rather than just
tell my sysadmin he compiled listserv wrong, I would like to point him to
information or areas that are specific to this.

This is ListServ 1.8d, latest release version, on Sun Solaris 2.7, with the
OCI option (which I have yet to test because of these problems).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kip

 ___________________________
|                           |