Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:07:42 +0100
Yes, I administer APPLE where the feedback loop and beta testing are concerned. But it is Marie's node otherwise.

Feedback loops are server-wide and, where AOL is concerned, site-wide. AOL sets up a feedback loop for a range of mail server IP addresses, and it is up to you to fan it out. Yahoo has the opposite approach and sets up a feedback loop for just one hostname, which requires you to register every hostname independently and set up a feedback loop list every time.

Where APPLE is concerned, we quickly reached a point where our entire Stockholm operation was blacklisted at Yahoo due to a small number of, erm, very zealous subscribers with (looking at things in the most favorable light) limited computer and e-mail skills. This is about when we got the feedback loop working, and in a few days we were back to normal. The intermittent problems you have with Yahoo are probably due to the said zealous subscribers creating new Yahoo accounts from which they can resubscribe to the list so that they can better report their entire mailbox as spam again, which I imagine they will do until a kind soul issues a court order preventing them from coming within arm's length of a computer keyboard :-) Or maybe they are new people every time. Anyway, Yahoo is very trigger-happy and will put a temporary soft block on us as soon as a handful of people report spam abuse, but usually the messages go through eventually. This does not happen with AOL. Once you have shown that you are serious, AOL will tolerate a LOT of occasional spam reports without taking action, as long as it is occasional.

  Eric