"Geert K. Marien" <GKMCU@CUNYVM>
Tue, 28 Feb 89 23:11:06 EST
... while we are all on the subject of disappearing subscriptions ... there is
also  the opposite  problem. Some  people  seem to  be getting  two copies  of
mail.  The  usual case  for  this  is that,  for  some  reason, they  get  put
not  only on  the list  at the  correct server,  but also  at a  European one.
The solution  is to  unsub from  one of  the two  servers, preferably  the one
that  is NOT  the more  efficient  one. I  have  only seen  this problem  with
USA people  being put onto  European servers  (all 'peered' lists  of course),
but it very well could also be the other way around as well.

Now,  what efficient  means  is subjective  if  you live  in  the vicinity  of
a heavily  loaded link,  but that's  another story, one  at which  LISTSERV is
quite capable of figuring out :-).

Note  also that  I am  not talking  about the  apparent XMAILER  problem which
causes a  second copy of  mail to  be sent to  a list as  from postmaster@site
which many  people have  dubbed 'unkown  origin' mail.  That's another  can of
worms.

This doesn't appear  to be a Listserv  bug, it is just something  to live with
until if/when computers can make human brain like snap decisions.

/Geert

** Disclaimer: The above are  my views and may not be those  of my employer **
**          and are not meant to be taken as such unless clearly stated so. **