Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:43:21 CDT
On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:32:44 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>On Fri, 23  Aug 1996 09:08:56 CDT  Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
>said:
>
>>Well, it  seems the  ampersand (&)  is something  that the  mailtpl file
>>doesn't recognize (left overs from the old PROFS/SCRIPT days?).
>>Perhaps in  future versions of Listerv,  we can just leave  out the text
>>formatting altogether? Imho, it's not needed, and tends to be a bother.
>
>Why don't you  make an experiment and edit DEFAULT  MAILTPL to remove all
>the words starting with  an ampersand, then run this way  for a few days.
>Then let us know if you still think this isn't needed and is in fact just
>a bother.
>
>>Especially in light of the fact that many Listserv's won't be running on
>>VM at all....
>
>What on earth does this have to do with VM???

As you can see from my assumption above (since proven incorrect), I had
assumed that the & was based on the old IBM Script language.  Obviously
the & is used for variable substitution - which is needed and is a nice
feature.

The && suggestion worked nicely (thanks).

But the rest of the formatting apparently *is* based on the old
IBM script (ie.  the ".fo off, .eb").  Do we really need the
*formatting* stuff?  I don't think so.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-8300 (work)
http://helper.tamu.edu/STAFF/cbarnes/