Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Sep 1993 13:07:18 +0200
On Wed, 15 Sep 1993 03:12:12 GMT Stan Horwitz
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Well-written documentation would be nice.

This is one of the things the  licensing money will be used for. However,
it won't happen overnight.

>If Eric's work goes out of the public domain,

It has never been in the public domain, if it were it would be a bit hard
to convince your boss to pay for it, wouldn't it?

>In fact, I would  be glad to expect a delay in  new software features in
>favor of the publication of comprehensive documentation at both the user
>and administrative/technical levels.

Well, you seem to be the only one with this opinion. You can't even begin
to imagine the  amount of pressure that  was put on me to  produce a unix
version  (no matter  how incomplete)  in 6  months. If  you talk  to them
patiently for a couple hours, people  finally accept that maybe 12 months
is ok, but that's  it, not one second more. It's the end  of the world if
LISTSERV is not fully ported to  unix is 12 months. L-Soft should abandon
everything else, including the VM version, freeze all other projects, and
concentrate on  rewriting a  LISTSERV for  unix, from  scratch and  in C.
Which is not  to say L-Soft is  going to do that (it  would be suicidal),
but that's the input we get from the academic marketplace.

  Eric