Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 9 Oct 1986 16:57 SET
  I know I shouldn't use this list for that, but it just is too good an opportu
nity. I  apologize in  advance. :-) Note:  in all the  following, the  term 'my
school' shall  refer to  the 'Ecole Superieure  d''Electricite', also  known as
'Supelec', which is not on the network  and has nothing to do with FRECP11, but
then it's there I am studying at present.

  In my school  (read: my prison), some  students are allowed to  do their last
year of studies in  a foreign country -- either UK, Germany  or USA. Studies in
the UK are not interesting because the school only allows you to go into micro-
wave studies, and only TWO possible  universities. Studies in Germany are inte-
resting but  I don't speak german.  :-( (will try  to learn this year).  So I'm
left with the states, which is  anyway the most interesting solution because it
gets you a  Masters degree (besides the Supelec diploma)  while you get nothing
in  UK or  Germany because  of "!$!%  inter-school administrative  bureaucratic
decisions which I don't even try to understand.

  Anyway, I would like to spend my last year of studies in the states, in compu
ter sciences  or something similar  (but *not* in  anything that is  closely or
remotely related to AI -- yuk!), preferrably  in a university that can offer me
(1) access to BITNET ( ;-) ) and  (2) a part-time job to cover my accomodations
and studies cost (I heard that would  amount to about $10,000 for one year). If
I was left with a little money to myself it would not be bad, but I'm not gree-
dy and my goal is only to cover the  cost of the studies -- so far. Needless to
say, the perfect part-time job would  be network program development or systems
programmer or something like that :-)

  It is very  important to note that there may  be administrative problems from
the university's  direction, because I don't  have any diploma yet  (apart from
my 'baccalaureat').  I will  be getting  the diploma  by mid-1988,  though, and
that will  be before  the nnn  months of studies  for the  Masters are  over (I
would come to the  states by september of 1987 or suchlike).  It is a tradition
in all  french 'Grandes Ecoles' that  you get NOTHING until  the final diploma,
just  in case  you  may  start considering  moving  to  another school....  The
"Diplome d'ingenieur ESE" which you get after  your last year of studies is the
equivalent, more or less, of a US Masters but it has much more value in France.
It gets you about  20 job offers in the 30 days that  follow your graduation --
the names are published yearly and the bosses immediately send out propositions
to everybody :-) A  Masters would probably have much more  value in the states,
of course.  Anyway, when I  arrive in  the states I  would NOT have  a bachelor
degree  nor any  equivalent; I  would receive  it at  least 4  months before  I
(hopefully) obtain my Masters degree, though. I  am aware of the fact that this
can cause problems in most universities... :-(

  I would be  grateful if you could send me  whatever information/evaluation of
the chance  of success  at your university,  before the 18th  of october.  I am
sorry for the so short delay, but I just learnt about the details this morning.
All that I  need for the 18th  of october is a  list of the CS  options I could
study, what  kind of job you  think I would be  eligible for at your  site, and
whether or not you think this diploma  problem can be solved. The rest can come
later, in due time :-)

Thanks for your help,
                      Eric