Kenneth Udut <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 00:59:26 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Kenneth, regarding the WAFFLE de-gestifier you mentioned, is it
> configurable?  Can it de-gestify a listserv digest?  Do they offer the
> source code for it?

"I'm not sure" - that's my answer to all three questions :->

FTP to: oak.oakland.edu, and look under: pub/msdos/waffle for
the program.  You might find it under pub/msdos/offline.

> Or could some C or perl wizard write a unix version of a de-gestifier to
> degistify one of our listserv digests?

It shouldn't be *too* difficult.  On the PC, programs like
Q-Edit are easy enough to use to 'degestify' digests, by recording
macros, and using search, blocking, searching writeblockout,
and things like that.

Example: - this should work with any text editor

1) Search for the 28 (or 30, I forget) ------'s.
2) Turn on blocking/marking
3) Search for another case of the 28/30 ----'s
4) Write the block out to a file, possibly numerical, so that you
   can increment it.

And go on from there.

> I too prefer the digest, however if you wanted to make some personal
> replies, then breaking it up would be nice.  Or, if you are on a system
> that limits the _number_ of mail items you receive, then it would be
> really cool to receive the digest in 1 message, then explode it locally
> and manipulate each one as you see fit (sort to folders, reply, etc).

Definately something to think about.  I use PC-Yarn, and a dedigestifier
would be nice for these cases.

--
Kenneth Udut                                    [log in to unmask]
LISTOWNER of [log in to unmask] - Personal Experiences of Ministry