"Russell N. Hathhorn, VM Systems Support" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Feb 1992 13:28:43 PST
Eric is correct, there is a danger of runaway mailing loops. So far I haven't
had it happen that the archive space filled with one of these things. STREK-L
got into one a few months back (after installation of the SFS version), but
the daily message limit cut off the problem. I must admit, I watch my LISTSERV
closely, devoting a good percentage of my time to network/network services
management. I think that it is only prudent to do so. If you have an
installation that lets everything run on 'autopilot', there is an increased
risk.

Perhaps there is another point here, as 'smart' as these machines are, they
can't be allowed to run without diligent human supervision. For active lists I
pare the archives each term, either purging or VMARCing/storing on the
filelist some notebooks. Either method recovers space. Using SFS has allowed
me to expand the 'usable' disk storage by 20%+, a critical consideration here,
but it does require additional diligence.

|   Russell N. Hathhorn                       |  Bitnet: SYSMAINT@PCCVM       |
|   VM Systems Progammer/Analyst              |  Compu$erve: 76636,1036       |
|   Portland Community College                |  Voice: (503) 244-6111 x 4705 |
|   12000 S. W. 49th Avenue                   |  Fax:   (503) 324-7010        |
|   Portland, Oregon  97219-0990              |  "     Just say NO to OCO   " |
| "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  |
|  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."|
|   -- Thomas Jefferson                                                       |