David Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:37:13 -0500
> Do I start off by moving the code (via tape or SENDFILE) to the new node,
> hen start the new server and then migrate the lists (and archives with them)?
> Or should I move all the code (lists and notebooks included) and shut down on
> the old node?
> Any comments on which approach is better?

Since the actual address of LISTSERV is going to change, it's
probably better to take the server offline, duplicate the server
id and list ids on the new node with just the list headers in the
LIST files, bring the old server back online and then use the
MOVE command to move lists one by one. That way the subscribers
get a polite note that tells them the list address and LISTSERV
address is changing and what their new server address should be
(as well as handling most of the consistency problems). A small
exec that extracts the addresses from the LIST file and generates
the MOVE job will probably speed the process -- LISTSERV will
take care of moving their user options, etc.

It also provides a good opportunity to prune out old, dead
lists...8-)