Jeff Dorn <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 08:17:45 -0400
>Do you send the mail as a mail merge job? I send HTML mail all the time,
>but I send it as a mail merge job, which I think requires that you also
>have LSMTP. If that's the case I can show you how to format it pretty
>easily.
>
>If not, feel free to describe what you're doing and I'd be happy to see
>what I can tell from that.

No, I'm not sending it as a merge job. Basically, I'm just attaching an
HTML file, using Microsoft Outlook 2000, and sending it directly to the
list for distribution. When the attachment arrives in an email client, at
least in Outlook and some online services, the HTML file opens up fine and
all the formatting is retained. However, when you look at it in the web
client, it is presented like what you see here:

http://listserv.access.gpo.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0109&L=gpolistserv-
discuss&F=&S=&P=2794

>Feel free to send me a test email, too.

I will send you a copy of the attachment separately.

>='s at the end of line sounds like quoted printable encoding. This
>really shouldn't be screwing up your HTML, though I don't use it,
>because I assemble a lot of the emails by hand (or with simple scripts),
>and it's too hard for me to figure out most of the time.

I've heard this several times now, from Lsoft support and another poster
from this list, Wayne Smith. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any
way to configure the outlook client differently as far as its handling of
attachments. Surprise, surprise, right? Well, in any case, the fact that
the attachment was coming to my mail client fine but screwed up in the web
archive led me to believe that wa.exe was applying some formatting to the
HTML. Hopefully my test email to you will tell us something more, unless
you also use Outlook. I'll try it either way.

Thanks!

Jeff