Thomas Habernoll <HABERNOL@DB0TUI11>
Tue, 20 Dec 88 22:56:33 MEZ

>1. Jose Maria is not an EARN volunteer! It is his Job to
>   contribute to the operation and development of EARN and DFN.
>   He is paid for this by GMD.

To earn (:-) some money does not exclude voluntary work. If all
networkers on this world would only work the hours they are paid for ...

>2. Although GMD isn't allways in favour of EARN decissions
>   GMD does not not support any strategy of imposing pressure
>   on the EARN administration by selectively distributing
>   technical solutions everywhere but within EARN. This is not
>   a way to improove EARN, it is destructive.

What is destructive to EARN, that's a pretty good question :-)

>3. Since Jose Maria is employed by GMD and since the developments
>   he announced where on base of GMD-owned ressources he is not
>   authorized to give any statements on the availability. This
>   is especially true for strange and unjustified statements that
>   do not agree to GMD policy.

The status of software developed by employees during their spare
time but using equipment of their employee, that's another interesting
question (for lawyers, that is). Especially if it is hard to
define working hours and spare time.

BUT THIS REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. The first version of LISTSEND was
written BEFORE Jose Maria started working with GMD. Therefore Jose
Maria is free to do what he want with LISTSEND (maybe a former
employer could claim some rights, maybe not). If he has improved
LISTSEND during his working hours, GMD could restrict the distribution
of this improved version. But I'm under the impression that this
is not intended :-)

>So the best thing to do for now is to ignore Jose Maria's quoted
>paragraph. I guess better news are to follow when Jose Maria is
>back from hollidays.
>
>Klaus Birkenbihl

To write such a letter during the absence of a person instead of
waiting for him to return and discuss this internally first is not
what I would consider good style. For sure it is not the best thing
to do for now. And I don't think that it will help to motivate other
volunteers to spend time on this existing network instead of waiting
for the bright ISO-OSI future that will solve all our problems, even
those we never dreamed about.

  Thomas